Manage a team of Desktop Support technicians and Endpoint Engineers responsible for delivering expert, efficient and cordial computing support to NYU’s faculty, staff and students. The Assistant Director will be the technical leader for a Managed Workstation environment and associated technologies.
1. Oversee scheduling, prioritization and timely completion of service calls, work orders and projects. Monitor unit’s performance to budget.
2. Accountable as the technical leader and escalation point for the Managed Workstation environment and associated technologies. Provide core technical leadership for the components of the Managed Workstation program, including inventory, patch management, imaging, deployment, and decommissioning. Assess relevant trends and technologies and their implications for NYU. Develop, deploy, maintain and update a device management lifecycle process and technical architecture.
3. Recruit, train, manage and administer a staff of Macintosh, Windows, Unix and Mobile OS technical professionals providing service and support to NYU faculty, staff and students.
4. Conduct annual staff performance development reviews and ongoing performance development activities to ensure all Desktop Support staff are technically proficient, efficient, and excel in customer service.
5. Assist Deans, Directors, department heads, administrators, faculty, students and other users to resolve customer service issues in a timely and effective way, and follow up as needed (e.g., staff training, process improvement, documentation) to prevent recurrence.
6. Proactively coordinate desktop support with managers of other ITS desktop support teams and with support staff outside ITS.
7. Manage to service level requirements; track metrics to performance and continuously improve performance. Ensure staff are compliant with reporting requirements and standard operating procedures.
8. As a team, plan, administer, innovate and continuously improve service quality, service levels and services offered.
9. In addition to managing, provide end user support for faculty, research staff and students:
Meet with clients and departments to analyze functional needs and recommend and deploy hardware, applications and other software to meet clients’ needs.
· Advise on new computer purchases and interact with vendors in the acquisition of computer products for faculty and staff.
· As new department initiatives arise, provide support from planning stages through implementation.
· Install, configure, and maintain operating systems, networking, device drivers, security patches, database connectors, web services, and printing services following institutional standards and best practices.
· Provide problem diagnosis and resolution for a variety of hardware and software-related issues. Coordinate and escalate support issues as appropriate.
· Responsible for providing secure computing environment for research, clinical care and teaching.
10. Work on special projects as assigned.
Bachelors degree and at least seven years experience providing technical support or equivalent combination.
Management experience and experience in a higher education environment preferred.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. - Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor and develop staff, including in technical areas. - Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills. - Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast paced and changing environment. - Demonstrated ability to motivate and mobilize a team around shared goals. - Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple, competing responsibilities. - Demonstrated ability to successfully manage small-to-medium scale projects. - Knowledge of University policies and procedures. - Advanced knowledge of contemporary desktop computing technology, including Mac, Windows, Unix and Mobile OS, hardware and software applications.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity